Title Conversions

The most common form of property ownership in Victoria is commonly known as the Torrens System whereby you receive a Certificate of Title to prove that you own the property referred to on the Certificate of Title. Some properties, particularly in country Victoria, are held under a different type of ownership known as a General Law Title. The General Law Title consists of a chain of title of documents all of which must be in place to enable the property to be transferred.

The Land Titles Office has a policy of converting all General Law Titles to the Torrens System at the time of sale. We have considerable experience in this area and can assist you if you have a General Law Title that you wish to convert.